16 Bit Installer for Designer Widgets in Win 7 64bit

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 9 Followers Thread's RSS feed.

pdperpich
Points 80
Replied On: Wed, Feb 23 2011 10:49 AM Reply

Greetings:

I'm looking for a way to install/license the ocx's associated with a very early version of designer widgets that uses a 16 bit setup.exe file (which simply won't run in Win 7). I've successfully installed Data WIdgets and Calendar Widgets as well as  VB 6.0 without issues. I'm the original licensed and registered owner.

Is there a way to manually apply a license to the files or manipulate the Setup.W02 through .W05 files? I can get designer widgets to work in XP mode but would prefer to keep everything in the native Win 7 space.

If not, is there a current Infragistics replacement tool(s) that I can essentially 'Drop In' the VB 6.0 environment  to replace Designer Widgets?

Thanks in advance...

Paul Perpich
Michigan

• Post Points: 20

All Replies

Mike
Points 221
Replied On: Tue, Nov 8 2011 9:00 AM Reply

I would like to know this too. Does anyone at Infragistics have an answer or advice?

Thanks.

• Post Points: 35
Alan Halama
Points 15,307
Infragistics Employee
Replied On: Tue, Nov 8 2011 2:58 PM Reply

Hello,

DesignerWidgets has been retired since March of 2004 and there haven't been any updates for newer operating systems and as such the installers aren't expected to work on Windows Vista or newer.  Note that the controls were also never tested for use on newer operating systems.

For replacements, you would need to convert your application to .NET and then you could look at NetAdvantage Ultimate which provides .NET controls for Windows Forms, WPF, ASP.NET, and Silverlight.

Let me know if you have any questions with this matter.

Alan Halama
Developer Support Manager
Infragistics

pdperpich
Points 80
Replied On: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:37 PM Reply

Alan:

It was nice to hear from Infragistics on this matter.

I understand the constraints and limitations of the older software but converting our legacy apps to .net is simply not an option for us at this time.

I can tell you that I can install our applications (they use DesignerWidget, DataWidgets and Calendar Widgets) using rather generic installation routines (AdvancedInstaller) on all versions of Vista and Win 7 (both 32 and 64 bit) and the controls work quite nicely.

I can also install and work with VB.60 on Win 7. What I can't do is use your installers to install the controls and the licensing under Win 7. I been having to use VB 6.0 in XP Mode. It works but I'd rather not have to. That has it's own limitation.

Is it possible to get information regarding the how to get the licensing set correctly. I would expect that I can simply copy the controls files (.ocx. ddl) to my drives and register them but without getting the licensing correct would be blocked from using them other than in demo mode.

Think you guys can help me out with this. It would make decision to stay with Infragistics when we finally do upgrade things pretty much a no brainer.

Thanks...

Paul Perpich

Alan Halama
Points 15,307
Infragistics Employee
Replied On: Fri, Dec 2 2011 10:44 AM Reply

Paul,

I have created a support case to help you further with this and provided an approach to test through that case.  The case number is CAS-79096-D5KWD5 and can be seen from your My Support Activity page.

Alan Halama
Infragistics

• Post Points: 5
Alan Halama
Points 15,307
Infragistics Employee
Replied On: Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:28 PM Reply

Paul,

I am posting the solution that worked for you that was provided through the case so others may benefit from it.

When the installer is run it will create the following registry keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.Designer.Widgets\Version2]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.Designer.Widgets\Version2\CompanyName]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.Designer.Widgets\Version2\HelpFileDir]
@="C:\\Sheridan\\SSDesWdg\\HELP"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.Designer.Widgets\Version2\InstallDir]
@="C:\\Sheridan\\SSDesWdg"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.Designer.Widgets\Version2\SerialNumber]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.Designer.Widgets\Version2\UserName]
@="Windows User"

Note that there are also other “Sheridan” registry keys and those appear to be created when you the components are registered. 

If you can copy the files over, register them, and then create these keys (using the values appropriate for your machine and setting the SerialNumber to be your product key), then the licensing would most likely work for the 32 bit components.  Note that the 16 bit components still would not be expected to work on the 64 bit Operating System.

Alan Halama
Infragistics

sfort
Points 50
Replied On: Thu, Feb 9 2012 1:50 PM Reply

I had(have) the same problem. I solved it by repackaging the install. I had aproduct (can't remember the name, I think it was AdvancedInstaller) that overlooked an install and listed files and registry changes. I then created an install w/ those actions. It took a little tweaking but it appears to wrok just fine. I can maintain the VB6 app in my Win7x64 workstation. I can also run the app in Win7x64 and x86. My client has had no complaints.

Alan Halama
Points 15,307
Infragistics Employee
Replied On: Thu, Feb 9 2012 2:04 PM Reply

sfort,

Thank you for providing the additional information.

Alan Halama
Infragistics

Caroline2020
Points 75
Replied On: Thu, Mar 22 2012 4:44 PM Reply

Hi Alan,

Thank you for this solution. It helped me to resolve a similar problem with ActiveThreed controls, still used in some of our legacy VB6 applications (until we'll have the time to replace them...).

Here are the required registry keys to create for ActiveThreed 2.04 :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.ActiveThreed.ActiveX\Version2]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.ActiveThreed.ActiveX\Version2\CompanyName]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.ActiveThreed.ActiveX\Version2\HelpFileDir]
@="C:\Program Files (x86)\Sheridan\ActiveThreed\help"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.ActiveThreed.ActiveX\Version2\InstallDir]
@="C:\Program Files (x86)\Sheridan\ActiveThreed"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.ActiveThreed.ActiveX\Version2\SerialNumber]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Sheridan.Designer.Widgets\Version2\UserName]
@="Windows User"

Regards,

Caroline Lapointe

Laval, QC

Alan Halama
Points 15,307
Infragistics Employee
Replied On: Thu, Mar 22 2012 5:09 PM Reply

Caloline,

Your welcome and thank you for updating this thread with the necessary keys for ActiveThreed 2.04.

Alan Halama
Infragistics

Hoang Nguyen
Points 20
Replied On: Fri, Jul 13 2012 7:25 PM Reply

Hello Everyone,

I am having the same issue with installation Designer Widgets in Windows 7 64bit. I have read through this thread but quite not understand on what to do.

1) Create all regkeys as above (no problem)

2) Copy and register files.

The problem is here. I do not know which files to copy or register.

Please help me. Thank you very much.

Alan Halama
Points 15,307
Infragistics Employee
Replied On: Sun, Jul 15 2012 10:02 AM Reply

Hoang,

The files that you need to copy over and register are the assemblies that contain the controls.

Alan Halama
Infragistics

Shawn Lynch
Points 45
Replied On: Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:51 AM Reply

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the license for these products?

Thanks,

Shawn Lync (610)296-3838 ext. 1307

Shawn Lynch
Points 45
Replied On: Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:52 AM Reply

I am looking for a copy of the licenses for these. Do you know where I can find them.

Thanks,

Shawn

(610) 296 - 3838 ext. 1307

Alan Halama
Points 15,307
Infragistics Employee
Replied On: Thu, Jun 6 2013 12:12 PM Reply

Shawn,

Licenses are sold through our resellers like component source.  For Designer Widgets, you can use the following link:

http://www.componentsource.com/products/designer-widgets/index.html

Let me know if you have any questions with this matter.

Alan Halama
Infragistics

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS