Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Empty Data Source
posted

I have a SQL report setup to use grouping.  I have page headers/footer that appear on each page.  All works well unless there is not data returned from the Data source.

When this happens a single page is displayed that is blank.

I want to place a message on the page saying there is no data available at this time.  On this blank page when the data source is empty, it doesn't even render the page header/footer, so I cant put a field with a message that switches visible to true when there are no rows (as I have done elsewhere).

I have added a Report Header, which works when there is no data, but has a blank page when there is data.  I do not want a report cover page, and the client does not want and summary info first, they want the data straight away.  I have attempted to set the visible Expression to hide the report header when there is no data, but is doesn't seem to work as expected.  If I set the report header visible property to false, the page still appears, but doesn't render its contents.  This doesn't seem right, if I set a section visible to false it should not appear!

I have tried using report footer, but then the message is only available on the second page, as the report renders the blank page.

I have attached an image showing the hierarchy of the report.

If you require any further information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Jon

Parents
No Data
    posted

I have managed to fix this, by manually adding a section into the XML, I have added a Section between the PageHeaderSection and the SectionGroupIterator. I have set this section to be hidden when there is data, and placed a message onto it.  All works well.

Its a shame the Visual Designer doesn't allow you to add a new section (or I can't find the option to add a section).

Thanks,

Jon

Children