Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Report Creation & a couple thoughts
posted

I think the CTP shows some very good promise, most especially from the perspective of being able to render reports in many different environments, (e.g. Azure, Ria, etc.). 

Report creation, however, has a long way to go in my view.  Aligning properties and labels is difficult at best.  There are no visual cues to aligning with existing elements within a section (or other sections) or snapping to same.  Certainly you want to align a label with its data. The sizing of elements cannot be done across sections.  The report header acts as a "report first page". 

Stored procedured also need to be handled much differently.  They should populate like a view or table during the setup wizard and be available.

I'm confident some of these are being addressed and am frankly eager to see the next CTP which I hope is closer to a preproduction release.  Some estimation of the next CTP would be great.

I will state again as I believe it very important, the ease at which I was able to get the reportservice up and running was very impressive.  The service flawlessly handled various sessionstate settings which I have found to be a problem with other solutions.

A workaround for testing while using the Azure emulator would also be terrific, although I understand the challanges that poses.

I am also appreciative of the effort spent on documentation. 

posted

Hi,

Thanks for your comments!

We do have aligning support with the usual VS toolbar (e.g. selecting a set of controls and align them to the left, right, etc), and through snapping to a grid. We don't have support for snapping to other controls yet, and that won't be in V1.

We'll have better support for stored procedures in V1. The next CTP will be released this week.

Regards,

Andres