Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Beginners Question about Ignite UI
posted

Hi, I've only just started looking at Ignite UI and I'm not sure what type of app it is able to produce.

Is it to produce an app that runs in a standard browser on a device eg Safari and Chrome? Or can it produce what seems to be referred to as "hybrid app" that is installed onto the device as an apk file (for android) or ipa file (for iOS)? When this type of app executes I understand that it runs in the webkit browser but looks like a native app.

I need my app to be able to run standalone on the device when a connection is not available so a conventional web app running in a browser pulling down html or javascript at runtime is not suitable. 

If it is possible to build and install as a standalone app, can Ignite UI do the build or does it require Phonegap/Cordova to do the build? In which case do I need to have iOS and Android SDK's installed to do the build?

Thanks

john.

Offline posted

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in our forums! Ignite UI is a javascript framework based on jQuery and jQueryUI. I’ll advice you to read the blog post of my dear colleague Jason Beres who explained very well what Ignite UI is. Also another colleague of mine – Mihail Mateev - posted a blog about how to use Ignite UI for building Android apps with PhoneGap.

I hope you will find these blog posts useful!

Kind regards,
    Petko Zhekov
    Senior Software Engineer