we bought a new subscription to upgrade our infragistics controls to the latest version. To our disappointment the upgrade is not at all painless as most of the controls we used in our projects are discontinued. Especially upgrading the Asp.net UltrawebGrid to the new WebDataGrid takes a lot of effort. As far as I understand we can still use the discontinued controls by using the versionfree assembly, and the last one where the UltraWebgrid is included is 2011. the easiest way to start the conversion for me is using the 2011 controls, but I have very strange problems developing on windows 10. The ultrawebgrid doesn't work at all. The layout is completely distorted, and editing data is impossible. When using Internet explorer in Compatibility mode it behaves as usual , when not in compatibility mode, or using Chrome or Microsoft Edge it becomes totally useless.It seems to me that the problem is IIS 10 . When opening applications with Chrome or Edge on our website, using the Ulrawebgrid, they work quite fine. When I install the exact same aplication on my local IIS 10, they don't work at all. Same problem when developing with Visual Studio on IIS or on the ASP.Net development server. It sounds impossible that IIS 10 could corrupt the working of the ultragrid, but that's my only conclusion. I'm developping on a brand new Windows 10 laptop, with Visual Studio 2008 and 2015 installed , and Infragistics WebAdvantage 2015 and 2011.
See the printscreens of the exact same testproject running on Windows 7 development machine, and on Windows 10. On Windows 7 I can edit the data, on Windows 10 I can't, and I have a very strange layout.
Any idea what could be wrong ? Maybe an installation issue anyway ? But all other controls do work as normal. The DataWebgrid also works as expected. I'm not yet using the version free assembly, but the full 2011.1 assembly as there where problems in design mode with the versionless controls.Related question ; is there indeed no versionfree ultrawebgrid in the 2015 package, or am I missing something ?
I've made a support request with the same questions, but I'm affraid I won't get much support as the controls are no longer support.Anyone else having problems on Windows 10 ?
Thanks for your help.
Update : I did an upgrade ( of a backup) of the Windows 7 development environtment to Windows 10. And I got the exact same problems. So there's certainly a problem developing on Windows 10, and it's not an installation issue of the Infragistics controls.
Kind regards, Luc
Update 2 :
the problem is getting worse and worse : I did an upgrade of (a backup of) the Windows 7 environment, which was perfecttly working,to Windows 10. And I got the exact same problem. So it's no installation issue.So I reverted back to Windows 7 to develop. Found out that I had to use the CLR3.5 controls, as I got the same problem with CLR4 on windows 7. This did work. Until about an hour ago ; a Windows update and I have the same problem. I copied the published version of one of our applications from the server to my Windows 7 machine, with the update. And the same problem. Which means that whenever we install this Windows update on our server, all our published applications get useless in Chrome or Edge !I hope there is some setting in IIS that I can change to fix this. We can't be the only one facing this problem ???
Hoping for a solution really soon.
This appearance is caused by the user agent not being recognized by the UltraWebGrid so the control doesn't know how to render correctly. You can see this in Chrome by using the Developer Tools. When on the network tab make sure you can see the Console at the bottom of the Developer Tools and press the menu button to the left of the console. In this menu select "Network conditions". On the new tab that opens you will see a section labeled "User agent spoofing". In this section select the radio button for Custom user agent and change the agent to be something like IE10 or IE9. Once you do this and refresh your page you should see the grid render as you expect.
To get around this on your server you'll need to have IIS modify the user agent string to be something that the control understands. As a note, the UltraWebGrid is a control that was never supported in Chrome. The only browsers that it had support for at the time that it was retired were IE8 - IE10 and Firefox, so these are the user agent strings that you would need to choose from. I am unable to provide any real recommendations on what you can use for user agent spoofing, though the following link looks like it provides decent instructions on how this may be accomplished:
If you have any further questions or concerns please let me know.
Try adding Browser="UpLevel" to your UltraWebGrid tag.