Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Ultrawebtab IE7 and IE8 compatibility serious issues

Our application was running on IE7 and few of our clients have moved to IE8.  Now there is a serious UI rendering issues found on IE8 especially with the ultrawebtab.  If we try to fix them on IE8 this would effect IE7 UI rendering.  Issues: 

1) Text in the grids columns are getting overlapped with the adjacent column [IE8].  

2) Grid tab header are rendered too small only to the width of the text in IE8 but in IE7 the tab headers are getting displayed with extra padding.  How can we get the same same rendering.

3) Grid Column width when set to 100% and Column caption = "" the column will get displayed small hardly 3px.  We have used this method and have added an extra filler column at right hand side of the grid so that the scroll bar should not overlap the actual column [IE7 working fine].  But in IE8, the extra filler column is getting displayed full width of 60px.  Why this difference in rendering; how to make it compatible.

We have tried to emulate IE8 as IE7 but this caused slowness in the response; the client reject the idea.  Is their any workaround for this.


  • 5368
    Offline posted

    I have had similar issues... I am gradually upgrading all of my pre-Aikido controls to the new Aikido controls.  And with that comes the pain of migrating my website to XHTML compliance (which some of the Aikido controls require for proper rendering).

    Having Aikido controls and legacy controls on the same pages has proven to be challenging, especially on those pages I haven't made XHTML compliant yet... and this is even trickier in IE8.  This is because IE8 will sometimes downgrade to quirks mode if it doesn't think the page is compliant enough, causing problems with the Aikido controls.  Or, the user may have clicked the "Compatibility View" button for your site in IE8, and this causes more issues.

    Here is how I handled a gradual upgrade... 

    On each page, I added the following meta tag.

    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

    That forces the page to emulate IE7, even if displayed in IE8.  I had to do this on every page that had an UltraWebGrid, for example.

    Then, when you are ready for the page to be displayed in IE8 Standards mode, just change the tag to the one below.  Note that this isn't foolproof if they have clicked the IE button to view your site in "Compatibility Mode":

    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" />

    Then, when your website is fully converted to XHTML compatibility, and all legacy controls upgraded to the new controls, you want to instruct the user's install of IE to remove your site from the "Compatibility View" list.  You can do this by adding the following file to your root folder:


    The file should contain only the text:

    This isn't instantaneous... IE only checks for the file once every 30 days or so.  But, over the course of about 30 days, this cause your site to be removed from all users' IE8 "Compatibility Mode" lists if they ever clicked the "Compatibility Mode" button for your site.

    At least that's my experience :)  I hope one of the IG guys has a better answer for you.