Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Which NetAdvantage ASP.NET version do I need - CLR 2x or CLR3.5
posted

I am currently developing for VS2005 and .NET 2.0, but I will be developing with VS2008 .NET 3.5 soon.  My question is, can I use NetAdvantage 2008 Vol 2 CLR3.5 now for my .NET 2.0 development, or do I have to use the CLR2X version, and then upgrade later when I start with .NET 3.5?  A couple of other questions: Can I use the NetAdvantage versions 2.0 and 3.5 side-by-side?  Do I have to buy 2 license to use both versions at the same time?

TIA

posted

If you continue to develop in VS2005, then you can only use the 2.0 bits (since VS2005 only knows about .NET 2.0)

If you migrate to VS2008, you can use either.  VS2008 includes a feature called multi-targeting, which allows you to build projects that compile against either .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.5.  You can start by migrating your existing .NET 2.0 based projects to VS2008 and continue to use our 2.0 controls and cpmpile against the .NET 2.0 framework.  Then when you are ready, you can change your project to compile against the .NET 3.5 framework.  When you make this change you can choose to continue to use our .NET 2.0 controls in your project, or migrate to our 3.5 based controls, they are basically identical.  The primary difference between the two different versions are which version of the ASP.NET AJAX extensions they reference.

You can install both 2.0 and 3.5 controls side-by-side, but you cannot use then side-by-side within the same project.

A single NA license includes both .NET 2.0 and 3.5 assemblies.

Devin