Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Real-time Chart Animations That Don't "Bounce"
posted

Has anyone came up with a way to smooth the animation of real-time graphing?  In the NucliOS.app example (Motion Framework for McGuire AFB Temperatures) shows a slight bouncing. This bouncing is more exagerated as the data becomes more scattered because the animation isn't moving from right-to-left, it's giving that appearance as each individual plotted point animates to a new position.

Here is a link to a video highlighting this issue using a very basic demo - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbdwclw3nkhcql4/BumpyAnimatedGraph.mp4

I have an idea for smooth real-time animations. If you programmatically zoom and offset at the same interval as the insert.  That way, only X number of items are displayed. Zooming would allow only a certain amount of data to be displayed, and offsetting to the "newest" element would give the appearance of old data falling off the rear of the graph. If paired with a range selector, this could be a very powerful tool.

That said, I'm deeply confused by the range selector's zooming.  It seems that just a little touch zooms in an exaggerated amount.  Is there a reason for this?

I'll work on translating the constant number of items to an appropriate zoom/offset, but it would be most beneficial to developers if this was already an option... because then a user could "zoom" based on how many horizontal items they want to see in any given view. Panning left/right would "stick" to the nodes along the axis.  This would be more natural and intuitive than the current zoomScale/offset float/point values.