Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Infragistics Ultimate 19.2 : wondering if PerformAutoResizeColumns works faster than in 18.1 (large
posted

I'm trying to improve the performance OR optimize the Win.UltraWinGrid.UltraGrid in our WinForm applications.

The query OR stored procedure can return up to 20K rows and more.

Also I have some conditions when returning smaller row counts:

public int Load(String Query, SqlParameter[] aParam, Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.UltraGrid _UGrid)
{

if (_UGrid.Rows.Count < 50)
     {
      _UGrid.DisplayLayout.PerformAutoResizeColumns(false, PerformAutoSizeType.AllRowsInBand, AutoResizeColumnWidthOptions.All);
     }
    else if (_UGrid.Rows.Count < 500)
     {
    _UGrid.DisplayLayout.PerformAutoResizeColumns(false, PerformAutoSizeType.VisibleRows,                AutoResizeColumnWidthOptions.IncludeHeader);
      }
    else
      {
      _UGrid.DisplayLayout.PerformAutoResizeColumns(false, PerformAutoSizeType.None, AutoResizeColumnWidthOptions.All);
     }

}

I understand that larger datasets perform slower when resizing/adjusting each row/column - we do use in additional some content specific formatting, like font-color or back-color 

I'm wondering if you guys have some advice OR performance, stress test results which can be provided in terms of best User Experience  when dealing with larger data sets? Is there any significant difference between 18.1 and 19.2 versions in this matter?

Also , I've been reading in other forum posts to lets say comment out this option here as well to get better results:

// _UGrid.DisplayLayout.Override.RowSizing = RowSizing.AutoFree;

Thank You for any suggestion.

Martin

Offline posted

Hello Martin,

When it comes to performance related queries, we always advise our customers to check the following performance guide, which provides great tips on what can be improved in an application using UltraWinGrid. 

Regarding difference between 18.1 and 19.2, there has been no change in how the component behaves. Having this in mind, the performance should be the same in both versions. For improvements and changes, you can follow the news on our website regarding new releases here.

As for RowSizing improving performance, the only thing that comes to my mind would be to reuse the same template for each row, which will be saving calculations, but it should not be the default case.

What I can suggest is to test the application with both versions. The latest version of our components is available for free for 30 days, so you can get a trial version to run your tests and evaluate as needed.

Sincerely,
    Tihomir Tonev
    Associate Software Developer