Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
autosize columns to all (even unexpanded) nodes' contents?
posted

I am trying to populate a OutlookExpress-style WinTree from a DataSet and have all columns sized so that without any resizing by the user, when all nodes are expanded, nothing is abbreviated with ellipses.

1. Is this possible?

2. Why does .ColumnSettings.ColumnAutoSizeMode = AllNodesWithDescendants not work like I am expecting?

For example, in a new form with only an UltraWinTree on it:

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Dim ds As New DataSet
        Dim dt As DataTable = ds.Tables.Add("tbl")
        dt.Columns.Add("text", GetType(String))
        Dim colKey As DataColumn = dt.Columns.Add("key", GetType(Integer))
        Dim colParent As DataColumn = dt.Columns.Add("parent", GetType(Integer))

ds.Relations.Add("recursive", colKey, colParent)

dt.Rows.Add("one one one one", 1, DBNull.Value)
        dt.Rows.Add("two two two two", 2, 1)
        dt.Rows.Add("three three three", 3, 2)

dt.DefaultView.RowFilter = "[parent] is null"

UltraTree1.ViewStyle = Infragistics.Win.UltraWinTree.ViewStyle.OutlookExpress
        UltraTree1.ColumnSettings.HeaderStyle = Infragistics.Win.HeaderStyle.Standard
        'UltraTree1.ColumnSettings.ColumnAutoSizeMode = Infragistics.Win.UltraWinTree.ColumnAutoSizeMode.AllNodesWithDescendants

UltraTree1.DataSource = dt.DefaultView

UltraTree1.ExpandAll(Infragistics.Win.UltraWinTree.ExpandAllType.OnlyNodesWithChildren)
    End Sub

Double-clicking to auto-size the first column makes it the width that I want it to be.  (I am not opposed to expanding all nodes, auto-sizing the columns, and collapsing them all again, but I haven't been able to find a way to trigger the auto-sizing.)

However, if I uncomment the AllNodesWithDescendants line, the same double-click resizes to fit only the first cell.  I would expect it to behave as the previous example does, except that even unexpanded rows would be considered when doing the autosize.

Parents
No Data
    Suggested Answer
    Offline posted

Descendants of collapsed nodes are not included when determining the column width; they are intentionally excluded because they are not visible. You can programmatically atuo-size a column by calling the column's 'PerformAutoSize' method.

Children
No Data