Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
spline series looks strange
posted

Hi,

I have a xamdatachart with a spline series and a category x axis. My values on the y-axis are always decreasing when going to the right on the x-axis. When my values y-values stay the same for several x-values, I get strange artifacts on my curve, see attached picture. I have tried both marker type "hidden" and "none".  I have also tried to change to a line series and then the curve looks correct but not as smoth. How can I fix this still using the spline series?

Regards,

Hilma Maria

Parents
    Verified Answer
    Offline posted

Hello Hilma,

I have been investigating into the behavior you are seeing with my teammates, and this behavior is actually expected when straight lines or constants happen within a SplineSeries. This is due to the way that the SplineSeries is calculated, and it is worth noting that the same behavior can be seen in Microsoft Excel’s charting engine as well.

To show this as an example, I am attaching a pair of screenshots that shows our spline chart and Excel’s spline chart bound to the same data source. You can see that the result is effectively the same. In the case of our chart, the position of where the markers are shown is more indicative of what the actual calculation of the line is doing prior to a change in a straight section of the data.

If you are looking to have a straighter line without these changes, the best thing I can recommend is usage of a LineSeries rather than a SplineSeries at this time.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this matter.

SplineSeriesScreens.zip

Reply Children
No Data