Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Chart with multiple series from ObservableCollection<ObservableCollection<PriceDataHistory>>
posted

I'm still new to WPF, Data Binding, Infragistics, and reallly GUI Windows Development... Sometimes I find working with the XamDataChart a little confusing for displaying complex objects, but I think it falls down to my understanding of how the XAML Binding Works with the charting package.

I have

public class PriceDataHistory ObservableCollection<Price>

Price is a custom object that looks like:

public class Price
    {
        public string Country { getset; }
        public string LocationCode { getset; }
        public DateTime Date { getset; }
        public double Price { getset; }
    }

I have many data points in the Observable collection and I would like to display them grouped by LocationCode.

So, for example If I have three different locations I would like to display 3 series on the chart.

public class PriceDataHistory ObservableCollection<Price>
    {         public PriceDataHistory()         {             for (int i = 0; i < _priceDates.Count; i++)             {                 this.Add(new Price                 {                     LocationCode = _location[0],                     Date = DateTime.Parse(_priceDates[i]),                     Price = float.Parse(_price0[i])                 });                 this.Add(new Price                 {                     LocationCode = _location[1],                     Date = DateTime.Parse(_priceDates[i]),                     Price = float.Parse(_price1[i])                 });                 this.Add(new Price                 {                     LocationCode = _location[2],                     Date = DateTime.Parse(_priceDates[i]),                     Price = float.Parse(_price2[i])                 });             }         }
        ///... not necessary for example
    }

In the example data they all have the same number of points

and they all have the same Date.

In the future I will not know how many different

LocationCodes there will be, because I'm using test

data right now so it is static.

Is what I want even possible? How should I go about

binding to my object in XAML?

Parents
    Offline posted

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I have been reading through it and if I understand correctly you have a ObservableColleciton of Price objects and you wish to group your collection by the LocationCode property and create a series for each group. If my assumption is correct, I can suggest creating a method to which you can pass the PriceDataHistory and the XamDataChart. In this method using a linq query you can group the PriceDataHistory by the LocationCode property into a new collection of objects that will contains the LocationCode and a collection of the data for the given location. By looking though this collection you can create a new series for each LocationCode  and add it to the XamDataChart. I have created a sample application for you, which demonstrates the approach that I have described.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance on the matter.

Sincerely,

Krasimir

Developer Support Engineer

Infragistics

www.infragistics.com/support

CollectionGroupingIntoSeries.zip
Reply Children