Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Sys.ArgumentException: Value must not be null for Controls and Behaviors. Parameter name: element
posted

Hello,

I have just upgraded from WebClient controls version 10.1 to 10.2 and my previous flawless WebHierarchicalDataGrid now breaks after paging with a clientside error from the ajax include file. MicrosoftAjax.debug.js  Assembly: System.Web.Extensions Version: 3.5.0.0 FileVersion: 3.5.30729.1

Error is: Sys.ArgumentException: Value must not be null for Controls and Behaviors. Parameter name: element

At: if (!element) throw Error.argument('element', Sys.Res.createNoDom);

I have a two level parent-child relationship. Paging is set to 25 items. Steps to reproduce: Expand a parent with one page of children works fine. Expand a parent with multiple pages of children works fine for initially. Once I page (click page 2) and result come back fine. The error occurs in trying to expand a parent above the recently paged parent. It consistently errors in the ajax script file.

The tested the same data from the same project one week ago but with the version 10.1 controls and no such error occurs.

As an aside, I am using InitialDataBindDepth of -1. When I change the value to 0 (load on demand) I get the error: "Deserialization failure: Invalid response." This error will occur after expanding a parent with multiple pages of children, expanding a parent with one page of children and then trying to re-expand the parent with multiple children. No paging action is needed to reproduce the error in this scenario.

Anyone please advise as this is a roadblock and a full day of research has come up empty so far.

Thanks,

Charlie