Skip to content

SyntaxEditor for WinForms

New Discussion
Andy Putra
Andy Putra asked on Jul 22, 2019 4:08 AM

Hi,

I'm currently developing a mini Code Editor Control (mainly for XML, JSON, and C#) for my application and after looking here and there I've found out about Infragistics Syntax Parsing Engine which looks like what I need.

But, after fiddling with the sample and trying it out. It seems the parsing engine is not suitable for live editing or maybe I just don't know how to use it for properly.

So I searched for clues and found out about Syntax Editor, but unfortunately it doesn't support WinForms. I know I can use it in ElementHost, but I can't really use that for various reasons.

My questions are:

1. Is there any plan to add Syntax Editor to WinForms?

2. If no, do you have any other solution or idea for implementing syntax highlighting for editor? I don't really need advanced features like Intellisense or Code Folding.

Thanks.

Sign In to post a reply

Replies

  • 0
    Divya Jain
    Divya Jain answered on Jul 19, 2019 1:54 PM

    Hello Andy,

    Thank you for contacting.

    Unfortunately, we do not have any plan to add syntax editor in our WinForm sooner.

    May I know why you cannot use it in ElementHost ?

    -Divya Jain

    • 0
      Andy Putra
      Andy Putra answered on Jul 22, 2019 4:08 AM

      Hello Divya,

      Thanks for the confirmation.

      As for ElementHost, main reason is we have plan to move to .Net Core and adding it brings in an entire presentation layer that has its own complications in terms of display, maintenance, and portability to other versions of .Net (ie .Net Core).

      Also adding WPF interoperability means that it requires us to use WPF components of Infragistics, and it will add additional payload on the binary files of 28 to 33MB files.

      Which is considered too much for just one component.

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Discussion created by
Favorites
Replies
Created On
Last Post
Discussion created by
Andy Putra
Favorites
0
Replies
2
Created On
Jul 22, 2019
Last Post
7 years, 2 months ago

Suggested Discussions

Created by

Created on

Jul 22, 2019 4:08 AM

Last activity on

Jul 22, 2019 4:08 AM