Hi, due to some conflict with previous install after upgrading from v16.1.2088 to v16.1.2188 (I think) I need to completely remove (including registry entries) of Infragistics so I can try to install v16.2. I went into Programs and Features and uninstalled from there but the registry entries still remain. How do I get rid of them? It's kinda sad that your uninstall process leaves it hanging around.
I had originally v15.9 trial version installed for demoing the essentials. Then uninstalled it and installed
Due to VS 2015 crashes after dragging and dropping controls or opening a form that has an infragistics control I decided to upgrade using the tool inside VS (Infragistics Menu Item). It upgraded me to another version of 16.1 (not 16.2 as desired). So after updating the references in my project I got an error while dragging any control to the design surface that File.IO.blah blah blah Infragistics Licensing for version 16.1.2088 could not be found error message.
At this point I went to Programs and Features and removed anything that had the word Infragistics in it, I then downloaded Infragistics_Professional_20162_WithSamplesAndHelp and ran the installer. Followed the same steps for references in my project, dragged and dropped the toolbarmanager and Wham! Same friggin error EXCEPT it's version was v16.1.2188.
So I won't go into any flame thread here; but of our 11 developers licensed for this product 8 of us are having VS crashes while using v16.1.xxxx.
So do you guys have a remove tool or something that will clean up your leftover registry entries?
I will look into why these entries are left in the registry and see whether it is possible for us to assist you in removing them. We do not offer any type of registry cleaner tool.
Leftover registry entries are not expected to have any side effect. Visual Studio should throw this error only when an unlicensed 16.1 control is added -- it is unexpected to see the error coming from a project that is referencing 16.2.
In order to diagnose this issue, please take the following steps:
I followed these steps, 2 co-workers followed these steps on my machine, same error. I'm marking it as the right answer though since all those steps above should have cleared out the problem.
I did something out of the ordinary I decided to auto increment the version of my control in app.settings and the error went away. Honestly I think my control must have been stuck in cache somewhere.
Thank you for your time.