Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Can you have a 2 rows for each DataRow
posted

I am new to Infragistics and I am having difficulty figuring out a solution for my problem. I have a WebDataGrid with 6 columns. The first column's data includes an ID number, Name of product, and a long description. My boss wants me to add a 2nd row to include the Product Namd and Description (which then will allow the first column to simply have an ID).

Can you have 2 rows for each DataRow in a WebDataGrid? The second row will not have a column name. I simply want to combine the current 6 columns and make it into one big column and add my description. Is this possible within WebDataGrid? Because this grid is in a modal I am limited on space and that is why we are going to two rows instead of one. If I can figure out how it can be done, I plan to have every other 2 rows highlighted so you can easily see which 2 rows are associated with each other.

Any help or tips for this issue would be greatly appreciated. Below are images showing what the grid looks like now and what I would like it to look like. Thanks again.

Offline posted

Hello,

In order to achieve the custom layout you are describing I would suggest using a custom ItemTemplate. This way you can arrange the data from the data item as it best suits your scenario.

First, create a CustomItemTemplate as follows:

private class CustomItemTemplate : ITemplate
        {
            public void InstantiateIn(Control container)
            {
                var dataItem = ((DataRowView)((TemplateContainer)container).DataItem);           
                Label idLabel = new Label();
                idLabel.Text = dataItem["ID"].ToString();
                Label detailsLabel = new Label();
                detailsLabel.Text = dataItem["Name"].ToString() + " " + dataItem["Description"].ToString();
                container.Controls.Add(idLabel);
                container.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl("<br />"));
                container.Controls.Add(detailsLabel);
            }
        }

Then add a TemplateDataField whose item template is the one you've just created, and add it to the grid's Columns collection.

TemplateDataField field1 = new TemplateDataField();
    field1.Key = "TemplateColumn1";
    field1.Header.Text = "ID";
    WebDataGrid1.Columns.Add(field1);
    field1.ItemTemplate = new CustomItemTemplate();

I am attaching a small sample application demonstrating this approach for your reference. Review it and let us know if you have any further questions on the matter.

4744.WebDataGridItemTemplate.zip