I have an old application using WinForms 15.2 now upgraded to 17.2 (latest) which has been running OK on a number of Win 7 systems. When testing on Win 10, UltraToolTips seems not to be working or working badly.
Tooltips are used on a number of different controls. For example attached to an UltraTree. General behavior is that either the tooltip does not come up at all or it is visible for a very short time period, just enough to see the hint of an outline and then is removed. This behavior cycles rapidly creating an irritating effect.
With the example of the the UltraTree the tooltip manager is attached during design time to the tree and properties are almost default, apart from the tooltip text. InitialDelay is 500 and AutoPopDelay is 5000. There is no explicit manipulation of the tooltip through event handlers in this case it is supposed to pop up with the mouse over the tree, which works OK on Win 7 but not on WIn 10.
Any known issue, any work around or ideas on how to debug further?
Many thanks in advance for your help. /Mats
My initial suspicion is that this is a video driver issue. I've built a basic sample application that puts an UltraToolTip on an UltraTree. Please try this out and let me know whether the tooltip shows up properly on your Windows 10 machine.
Thank you for taking time to do a sample app. I can confirm that it behaves in the same way as my own app.
Further investigation indicates that your suspicion is mostly correct. The Win 7 and Win 10 machines are both Fusion VM running on a 15" MacBook Pro with Radeon Pro graphics but there was a difference in graphics settings for the Win 10 VM.
The problematic WIn 10 VM had "Use full resolution for retina display" enabled (Fusion default) together with display scaling 200% in Win 10. While the Win 7 VM had this option disabled and was running with 100% scaling.
If I disable "full resolution" for the Win10 VM both your and my app works OK.
Then of course you might think that this should work even with a scaled high DPI display ;)
When running with full resolution and application scaling there were also some other artifacts related to the graphics overlay (I think). Some cursors where half size and markers for pane splitter movement were offset from the real pane border by a factor two from the origin. So I cannot help but think that there is some issue somewhere with handling of display scaling.
If you do not have any immediate suggestion for how to dig deeper I will just consider this solved for now as it seems more related to my developer environment than any end-user scenario.
Many thanks for your support!
I am happy to hear that you are able to get the tooltips working when disabling "full resolution." I hope that this workaround allows you to move forward with your development.
Please let me know if you find any more information in your environment that causes this issue to occur. If I can duplicate it here, I can write it up for developer review and we can investigate it more thoroughly.