Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
TimeXAxis vs CategoryDateTimeXAxis
posted

I need to present datapoints that are coming in live, but may not be in chronological order.  Should I be using TimeXAxis or CategoryDateTimeXAxis?

I have tried using TimeXAxis, and my app starts, but my window wont even open.  I cant find much info on using CategoryDateTimeXAxis.

datachart-using-time-x-axis

Parents
No Data
    Offline posted

Hello Ryan,

I have been investigating into this, and it appears that there really isn't much documentation on the CategoryDateTimeXAxis. It is worth noting though, that the TimeXAxis works similarly to the CategoryDateTimeXAxis in that you need to set an ItemsSource and DateTimeMemberPath - it just has more features, such as Breaks. The TimeXAxis can also automatically apply label formats which can dynamically change as the user zooms through the usage of the TimeAxisLabelFormat elements in the LabelFormats collection mentioned in the online documentation article you linked.

If you don't wish to use these features, the CategoryDateTimeXAxis might be a better option, if only because it may be a little lighter-weight, but again, the TimeXAxis and CategoryDateTimeXAxis work very similarly.

I am attaching a sample project that demonstrates usage of the TimeXAxis, as you have mentioned you are having troubles getting started with it. The same sample project will work simply by changing the <ig:TimeXAxis > tag to  <ig:CategoryDateTimeXAxis > and setting the same properties.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this matter.

XamDataChartTimeAxisDemo.zip

Sincerely,
    Andrew
    Associate Developer

Children
No Data