Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
What to use from ASP.NET for our tasks
posted

In future project (in several months) we need to implement:

Web view

User panel, registration/authorization/password recover mechanism, email/sms notifications, ticket/chat support, user data input interface, table/chart reports (+Excel export, compare, sort), billing, admin panel, databases;

Engine

Running the main task for user. In our case it is web data extraction, data analytics, report generation.

That will run on AWS or Windows Azure (powered buy autoscale architecture).

We are going to implement that with ASP.NET. Now we are going to study it (with our basic experience of 5-year C# .NET programming).

Questions

1. What ASP.NET based technologies should we use for webview, what for engine?

2. Regarding engine (running main task for user) implementation maybe we should use PHP instead of ASP or smth else? It it is smth else, what we can that be smth from .NET? What pros and cons for each option?

3. I consider the following ASP.NET based technologies for web view:

• ASP.MVC;
  • Telerik;
  • Intersoft Solutions;
  • web api 2.*;
  • SOAP, REST.

Maybe you give more advices? We need the technologies/frameworks to help me develop basic functional blocks really fast.

We are grateful for your answers! We will now create our learning strategy based on them!

Parents
    posted

Hello Fil Lazarev,

And thanks for posting in our forum!

I see your post contains very basic and fundamental questions about using web technologies. Answering it will become a long discussed lecture of which technology and approach is better. Also we have policy to help to the people in the forum to resolve their issues, related to Infragistics products and I do not see how your questions are related to our products. Furthermore it will be incorrectly and disrespectful to comment our competition or their products (like Telerik). Also, I cannot recommend you something without specific internal information of your company and such kind of decisions are tough enough and responsible ones and we are not eligible to provide such recommendation - this is more internal management decision.

So, what can I advice you is the following:

ASP.NET MVC is the latest web technology of .NET framework and it is considered by many people as better one than ASP.NET Web Forms (which was the previous option for ASP.NET developers for years). Pros and cons for both are available in the official video of Microsoft: Choosing the Right Programming Model. The ASP.NET also includes Web API (web services - Getting Started with ASP.NET Web API 2 (C#)),  SignalR (push technology -  Introduction to SignalR ) and few more not so important.

1. Again this choice is personal and you have to decide between ASP.NET MVC and ASP.NET Web Forms. As it is explained in the video - what is more naturally for you.

2. Considering the fact that Infragistics is .NET oriented company and you have experience with it I will recommend to use ASP.NET instead of PHP. All is summarized here When to use PHP or ASP.NET? : "What can be done with PHP, can be done with ASP.NET."

3. I can tell you, what I would use in my similar project:

- User panel, registration/authorization/password recover mechanism -> ASP.NET MVC (including ASP.NET Web API). ASP.NET MVC contains mechanisms and examples for registration/authorization/password/password recover. 

- ticket/chat support - ASP.NET SignalR;

- table/chart reports (+Excel export, compare, sort) - here you can use our client-side Excel exporter: Grid Excel Exporter

- for all other UI purposes I will use MVC wrappers for our IgniteIU controls: Adding Controls to an MVC Project;

Hope this helps you to make a decision!

Reply Children
No Data