Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Upgrading Netadvantage 2011.1 to 2016
posted

We are in the process of preparing to upgrade our usage of Infragistics Netadvantage from ver 2011 vol1 to 2016 (hopefully vol 2 since I imagine it will be released very soon). The app we're upgrading is a winforms .net4 app. We use UltraWinGrid, UltraWinTree and UltraTabs and Ultrabutton primarily.

I'm not specifically concerned with pricing at this time, that's for someone else in my company to deal with, I'm just looking for high level info of if there are any "gotchas", or if this will be a fairly straightforward upgrade? Presumably I'll have to implement the new DLLs, of course, and then test that all the controls behave and style similarly to how they do today. but is there any major concerns with this upgrade path, like will I have to install any intermediate versions along the way?

We'll be using Visual Studio 2013, as far as I can tell at this time.

Suggested Answer
    Offline posted

Hi Todd,

The upgrade process should be pretty smooth. We do our best to make sure the controls are backward compatible. Of course, there will be new features and bug fixes, so it's not perfect, but in general, we try hard to make sure we don't break anything from one version to the next. And when we do, we make sure we fix it ASAP. :)

When you install the suite, it comes with the Infragistics Project Upgrade Utility, which you can run and it will update any existing projects to the new version you are using. I recommend using the tool instead of changing the project references yourself, since the tool handles some things you might not be aware of, like the licx files.

The only potential "gotcha" that comes to mind is that v11.1 was CLR2 and v16.2 is CL4-only. But as long as you use the Upgrade Utility and you are using a version of Visual Studio that supports CLR4, it should be no problem - and VS2013 is fine for that.

Also, there was a point where the Excel and Documents assemblies were renamed. I think it was around v12. You didn't list those amongst the controls you are using, but if you are using them, you might have to change some of your references and code to point to the new assemblies and namespaces.

Also, just FYI, you can install both version of the Infragistics assemblies on the same machine and they will run side-by-side with no problem. I, myself, have all the assemblies on my machine going back all the way to v8.1. So worst-case scenario, if there is a problem with the upgrade, you could go back to using the older version temporarily until you get it worked out.